Hydraulic jacks are a requirement for us, and one of the top 5 reasons that we purchased this particular rig.  We both feel that with an RV this length, 34′, that it’s really the easiest way to make us level.  We rarely have a level parking situation or a level parking lot to call home so ‘uneven ground’ could’ve been our name and made just as much sense as On Borrowed Land! LOL.

When this RV came up on JED’s expanded search area on Craigslist, we snatched it up even though it was several hours away from us.  We took an overnight trip in the car with our tow bar and came back the next day with our new-to-us Class A.  However the hydraulic jacks didn’t work when we bought this rig.  Which really meant that combined with a desperate seller and a few other small mechanical issues, we picked it up at an EXCELLENT price.  Too many potential buyers are unable to make their own repairs and taking this one to a shop would’ve added a few thousand more to the pricetag.  This is essentially what made the seller desperate, because he couldn’t use the RV anymore for other reasons nor could he repair it.  Now I’m a DIY girly and afraid of tackling very few projects, but JED is a Mechanical Engineer and obviously with a degree like that, very little escapes his ability to make it do his bidding.

So after a couple of short hours of investigation, some cardboard on the ground and JED in his sexy work coveralls, he figured it all out.  It turns out (layman’s girly speak coming up) that someone installed part of the motor backwards and it wasn’t making the right connections when it was engaged.  So once JED turned it all around, literally, our hydraulics worked perfectly!  A few hours and a little hydraulic fluid later and we saved THOUSANDS of dollars on repair or replacement.

So that is the story of how we repaired our hydraulics, and lived LEVEL EVER AFTER.
🙂

Of course my version is not very helpful if you want to understand this repair, so here is JED’s version of events.

“I used jumper cables to jump the motor relay giving the motor 12VDC and it didn’t even click. I replaced the old motor with one I found on ebay for around $100 and installed it. The hydraulic fluid was nasty and had dirt at the bottom of the reservoir so I replaced the fluid too. Now the motor would turn but the hydraulics still didn’t work. After some investigation, I found that the new motor spins in the opposite direction as the original. Because it’s a DC motor, I reversed the wiring polarity and the motor turned the correct direction making the hydraulics work as they should.  It’s been over a year and the hydraulics are still working properly.”

The Social Media Parade

Leave a comment